Friday, December 12, 2008

Commit It To Memory!

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11

A year or so ago I read the story of brother Yun, the heavenly man, and was challenged by his account of having memorized the gospel of Matthew in 28 days.

More recently, I stumbled across the story of Nadine Hammonds, a lady who has memorized the entire New Testament in about three years.

"Memorizing Scripture, hiding it away in my heart, has been the highlight of my life -- the most thrilling thing" she quotes.

I can think of nothing more fulfilling than becoming intimately acquainted with God's Word - meditating on it day an night and allowing the life changing truth of the living word to sink down deep into the heart - changing you forever! For the scripture says, be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

The Psalmist recognised this, and in the opening chapter, paints a wonderful picture of the man who meditates on the word day and night. "He is like a tree planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in season and who's leaf does not wither."

Since God has inspired, recorded and preserved the scriptures for us, so that we might know and follow Him who is true, should we not therefore read, memorize and meditate upon them day and night?

It's not a matter of competition, or something that can be done in a few weekends (actually, at a rate of 4.5 verses a day it'll take just short of 5 years), but of knowing Him! Who will join me?

5 comments:

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

Wow! I mean a big WOW! I do try and commit to memory many verses and God's promises, but have never actually heard of anyone memorizing the entire New Testament! Awesome!

Omah's Helping Hands said...

I'm on board. I am trying. It's been a goal since coming back to the Lord.

Sam said...

That's Fantastic!! It is such an encouragement to find believers who want to not only read His word, but memorise it and meditate much upon it! When the sun of tribulation and testing comes up and the wildflowers begin wither and fall, those with roots deep into the word of God, drawing from the ceaseless steam of living water, they will bring forth much fruit for His glory!

mikeocantis said...

Wow that's a challenge we should all do I am on board with you count me in...

Sam said...

Hi Mike. That's Fantastic!! May the Word of Christ dwell in you richly always!