Thursday, March 26, 2009

Oh What Tangled Webs We Weave!

Recently here in Australia, a retired judge committed purgery in an attempt to avoid a $77 speeding fine. As a result, he has landed himself a three year sentence in prison with a two year non parole period, lost his title of QC, will lose the right to practice law, might well lose his Order of Australia honour and $200,000 a year pension and now has the dubious honour of being the first Australian judge to be sent to jail.

While admitting his guilt, the former Federal Court judge tried to defend his integrity as a basically honest man who made a "mistake" by lying. In defending his character, he said: "I don't think I'm the slightest bit dishonest. I just made a mistake."

The "I lied, but I'm basically honest", or the "That might make me a liar, but at least I'm not a murderer" defense is probably the most common defense people will use on the day of judgement when they stand before a Holy God to give an account of their lives. Some might even argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" Why? Because God has commanded all men to speak truth! You shall not lie is the ninth commandment.

Oh what tangled webs we weave, when we practise to deceive!

Some people's falsehood brings them much strife in this age, as Mr Einfield has since discovered, but everyones falsehood will bring them trouble in the age to come! As the Scripture says, "All liars will have their part in the lake of fire" Revelation 21:8b

And there is no escaping this fact... we are all liars!

Yet, though we are condemned by the law, and we find ourselves like Mr Einfield - set to lose everything, even our very soul in the fires of Hell - we are not alone! We have One who speaks to the Father in our defense, Jesus Christ the Righteous One! He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for the sins of the whole world!

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

0 comments: